Saturday, November 16, 2013

Five of the lamest boyfriends in fiction

At The Barnes & Noble Book Blog Molly Schoemann-McCann tagged five of the lamest boyfriends in fiction, including:
Edward Cullen (Twilight series, by Stephenie Meyer)

I may get some heat for this one, too, but come on. Sure, Bella’s vampire boyfriend Edward was handsome, charming, and devoted, but he was also sneaky and manipulative. If any of my boyfriends had disabled my car to prevent me from visiting one of my friends that he didn’t approve of, he would have been kicked to the curb faster than he could say “Also, you smell like delicious steak and it’s taking all my willpower not to eat your face.” Not to mention Edward’s penchant for watching Bella through her bedroom window at night while she sleeps, which to me just screams “we are going to end up on Maury Povich.” I don’t care how romantic your partner is, a boyfriend who is constantly fighting the urge to drink your blood is waving a pretty big relationship red flag as far as I’m concerned.
Read about another entry on the list.

Twilight is on Melvin Burgess's top ten list of books written for teenagers.

--Marshal Zeringue