Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Top ten most angsty characters in fiction

Panayiota Kuvetakis is a student at UC Berkeley studying comparative literature and theater. For Writer's Bloq, she named a top ten list of the most angsty characters in fiction, including:
Mersault – The Stranger

Basic paraphrase of novel: “Oh no – the sun is too bright on the sand…the effect is blinding…the only way for me to cope is to shoot an Arab five consecutive times. Alas, I remain indifferent … just like the world. But if people yell how much they hate me at my execution, I can find meaning amongst the black hole of meaninglessness.”

Ugh. We liked you more when you just hung out with gangsters.
Read about another entry on the list.

The Stranger is on John Mullan's list of ten of the best trials in literature, Seán McGrady's top 10 list of philosophers' novels, and R.J. Ellory's five best list of French noir fiction. Meursault is one of Marcel Berlins's six top literary killers.

--Marshal Zeringue