Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Top 10 books for children with dyslexia

Severely dyslexic Sally Gardner couldn't read until she was 14. "A book without any illustration was as good as useless," the award-winning author writes in the Guardian: "My fantasy as a child hungry for stories was that I had a kind actor living in my wardrobe whom I could take out when I needed reading to."

One of Gardner's top ten books for children with dyslexia, as told to the Guardian:
Five Children and It by E Nesbitt

Imagination, imagination, nothing quite like it for dragging in the most reluctant of readers, and E Nesbitt had it in bucket loads. The Psammead is such a wonderful character. In spelling terms he's easier to think of as the sand fairy. Recommended to be read as an ebook where you can blow the text up to a size that works better if you're dyslexic, so the words stop jumping around on the page.
Read about another entry on the list.

--Marshal Zeringue