Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Marie Brennan's "With Fate Conspire," the movie

Now showing at My Book, The Movie: A Star Shall Fall and With Fate Conspire of Marie Brennan's Onyx Court series.

The entry begins:
The Onyx Court series has always been very hit-or-miss for me when it comes to imaginary casting. Some characters, I know right off the bat; others never get cast at all. When I posted before, discussing the first two books of the series, I had good faces for Lune (the faerie queen), Michael Deven (the mortal protagonist of Midnight Never Come), and Jack Ellin (one of the two mortals at the center of In Ashes Lie) -- but nobody for Invidiana or Antony Ware.

Two books on, my batting average is still patchy. Irrith, the faerie protagonist for the eighteenth-century A Star Shall Fall, needs to be somebody small and pixie-ish. I visualize her being something like Julie Cox, with those big eyes and pointy little chin. Make her about four inches shorter, and she'd be a pretty good match. (Though Irrith rarely dresses as elegantly as Cox does in that picture, which I believe is from Children of Dune.) I don't have anybody for her mortal counterpart, though, Galen St. Clair. It's easier to find pixie-ish women in Hollywood than small, slender men. In terms of build, Galen should be along the lines of Cillian Murphy, but he's already "taken" -- Murphy is my closest match for Tiresias, one of the secondary characters in Midnight Never Come.

Moving on to With Fate Conspire, the fourth (and for now, final) book in the series, I again find it easier to cast the faerie than the mortal; the difference is, this time the genders are flipped. Just as I had Paul...[read on]
Learn more about the Onyx Court series at Marie Brennan's website and blog.

The Page 69 Test: With Fate Conspire.

My Book, The Movie: A Star Shall Fall and With Fate Conspire.

--Marshal Zeringue