Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Coffee with a canine: Danette Haworth & Casey

Today's featured couple at Coffee with a Canine: Danette Haworth and Casey.

The author, on how she and Casey were united:
My friend acquired a cockapoo who greeted me wildly whenever I visited. I'd hear his nails clicking on the floor during our visit, and he would, at regular intervals, slide under my hands for petting.

It had been a while since I'd had my own dog, but this dog opened my heart again. Since I couldn't kidnap him, I looked for a similar dog and found Casey! We got her when she was only two months old. She was so tiny and cute--and...[read on]
About Me & Jack, Haworth's latest book:
Twelve-year-old Joshua Reed knows how to play new kid: hang back, don’t talk too much, become invisible. Then he pairs up with Jack, a dog he rescues from the pound. Jack yanks Joshua from the sidelines to the frontlines and before Joshua can help it, he comes face-to-face with the meanest kid in school, Alan Prater. Joshua would like to be friends with Ray, but it turns out Ray and Prater are cousins, and Prater’s not letting outsiders in. Plus, being the son of an Air Force recruiter during the Vietnam War doesn't exactly make fitting in easy. When a few late night disturbances rip through town and everything points back to Jack, Joshua will have to fight for his family, his new home, and his beloved dog.

School Library Journal says, "Me & Jack is well paced and keeps readers focused and concerned about the characters and their development." Kirkus calls Me & Jack an "entertaining boy-and-dog adventure " that is "vividly depicted through [Joshua's] first-person narration and amusing interior monologues."
Visit Danette Haworth's website, blog, Facebook page, and Twitter perch.

Read--Coffee with a Canine: Danette Haworth and Casey.

--Marshal Zeringue