Friday, August 06, 2010

Ten most memorable literary last words

Terry Breverton is a former businessman, consultant and academic and now a full-time writer. He is the author of numerous books has been awarded the Welsh Books Council "Book of the Month" award five times. His new book is Immortal Last Words, "a fascinating, diverse collection of history's most uplifting, entertaining and thought-provoking dying remarks and final farewells."

From the Guardian's excerpt of Immortal Last Words, ten of the more memorable literary farewells:
VIRGINIA WOOLF 1882 – 1941
‘I feel certain that I'm going mad again …’

Fearing that she was on the brink of the latest in a series of breakdowns, Woolf committed suicide by loading her pockets full of stones and wading into the River Ouse. Her suicide note told her husband that she would rather die than endure another such episode. ‘I feel certain that I am going mad again. I feel we can't go through another of those terrible times. And I shan't recover this time. I begin to hear voices, and I can't concentrate. So I am doing what seems the best thing to do ... I can't go on spoiling your life any longer. I don't think two people could have been happier than we have been. V’
Read about another literary farewell.

Also see: Best last lines from novels.

--Marshal Zeringue