Friday, June 23, 2006

Stephen King's best books of 2005

I just came across "Stephen King's best books of 2005" list. Amazingly, I've not only read seven of the books he names, but at least six of them made my own top ten lists of 2004 and 2005.

His number one pick for 2005 was my number one pick of 2004.

I write that this broad concurrence is amazing not because I would guess that King and I should have strikingly similar taste (or clearly divergent tastes) but because I've compared favorite books lists with people whose taste is somewhat similar and we rarely have much overlap.

Looking forward, will my best books of 2006 list look a lot like Stephen King's?

Perhaps; on the one hand, we both loved this book.

On the other hand, I recently read a book whose cover featured the Stephen King blurb, "One of the best books I've read in a long, long time." (I didn't know of this opinion/blurb when I decided to read the book.) Enjoyable, yes, but it probably will not make my 2006 top ten list.

--Marshal Zeringue